Thursday, October 30, 2008

Paint a Halloween Pumpkin

This year, why not paint a Halloween pumpkin? A painted pumpkin will outlast a carved jack-o-lantern by months and can even be repainted for use as a Thanksgiving decoration. With a little imagination, painting pumpkin faces will become a real family treat.

My wife and I stumbled upon these pumpkin painting ideas quite by accident. A couple of years ago we had the grand kids here in late September. On a whim, we decided to visit a local pumpkin patch and let them pick out a couple of pumpkins to carve for Halloween. The patch had a little stand set up with various fruits and vegetables for sale, along with a nice supply of jams, jellies and preserves. I think that is the main reason my wife wanted to go there! Displayed prominently along the back wall of the fruit stand were several of the cutest painted pumpkins we had ever seen. I told my wife we had better price a couple of them on the way out.

After picking out a few nice sized carving pumpkins we headed back to the stand and were knocked off our feet when the clerk told us the prices for the painted pumpkins. There was nothing less than $40! Most were $50 and up!

That got my creative juices flowing. Our smallest granddaughter had fallen in love with one of the painted faces and I just would not let her down. As soon as we got home I went straight to the internet and was surprised to find relatively few listings for pumpkin painting.

Next was a trip to the library with the same miserable results. I knew there had to be a source for pumpkin painting patterns and ideas, but where was it hidden. Back on the internet I finally stumbled a cross one neat little ebook that included a list of all the necessary paints and patterns I would need. I bought it and had it downloaded and printed within a few minutes. A quick trip to the hardware store for supplies was followed by about an hour of intense artistic endeavor.

You should have seen the look on my grand kid's faces when I came out of the garage with my first masterpiece! What would have cost over $50 at the pumpkin patch I had slapped together for less than $15. The best part is that I had plenty of paint left over for more pumpkins.

These painted goblins have become quite popular in our neighborhood. Each year, as soon as I begin putting them out for decorations, my phone and doorbell start ringing with requests. It has really become a very profitable hobby.

You do not have to be an expert artist to create some creative spooks and goblins. A little paint and some simple instruction is all you need to paint a Halloween pumpkin.

This year you can be the talk of the town if you learn how to [http://www.usfreeads.com/957890-cls.html]Paint A Halloween Pumpkin. It is EASY and FUN for the entire family. Check out the guide to [http://www.usfreeads.com/957890-cls.html]Pumpkin Painting now!

No comments: